Monday, October 31, 2011

Nanowrimo!

First, many apologies for the infrequency of the posts lately, but I've been gearing up for some special stuff here in South Florida. Amid all of the rain and floods, there have been some new opportunities on both the professional and personal fronts. Let's just say that we may be changing the name of the blog some time in the not so distant future. Suggestions for new titles are welcome.

In addition, National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo, is upon us. As always, I will be participating along with my students, trying to bang out the next great American novel, or at least a cheap pulp paperback to supplement my teacher's income. So, while I intend to keep up the Monday Morning Haiku (isn't haiku plural for haiku?), I probably won't have time for the cute daddy posts, or shaving or eating either, as I grind out 1700 words a day on my new novel in order to reach my goal of 50,000 words by November 30. I suggest anyone who's even remotely interested in writing, but never gave yourself a chance, take this challenge and see what happens. If even half of what you write is decent, revisable stuff, then you're 25,000 words closer to a dream than you were on Halloween.

This month my novel will be built on the following premise: what if a lowly drug runner with dreams of becoming the next 50 Cent or Rick Ross makes a deal with the devil to secure his success, only to realize the gravity of his choice too late, when his benefactor calls in his markers and demands even more than his soul? Check the blog for dailies to see how the story unfolds, and to encourage me as I commit professional and social harakiri for art's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment