Saturday, September 18, 2010

3.1 in 25.5

First thing this morning I got up to practice for the Susan G. Komen 5K on October 16. By "first thing," I mean right at 11:30 when I rolled out of bed. I ran the park near my house, several times in fact, in preparation for the race in October. By the way, to the cute woman I passed at least twelve times as she was walking her dog, I really would have stopped to say "hello" if I hadn't been so seriously in training. Anyway, the last time I did this, it was two weeks ago, and I ran the first two miles a little too fast and petered out for the third, eventually walking the last half-mile. After that dismal failure, I knew I had to be more focused in my efforts. This time, after some strength training and some changes to my regular running routine - working on both stamina and pace - I ran the entire 26 minutes. Problem is, since I was running a different park, I have no way of knowing my actual distance. I do, however, judge it to be at least the five kilometers I'm training for, since I ran that park at least ten times.

The point is, self-improvement is out there. Sometimes it's hard to come by, and it takes a great deal of dedication. On the other hand, sometimes it's as close as the park down the street or the book on your shelf, and as easy as dropping out of bed at 11:00 on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment