Wednesday, March 30, 2011

You Can Catch More Flies with Bunnies

When do little children learn to manipulate their parents? At what stage do girls figure out that their fathers will do anything for a hug and a kiss? How do boys perfect that "aw shucks" smile that melts their mothers? I like to imagine a secret school where children learn the arts of persuasion and method acting. While we think they're outside playing with their friends, they workshop with each other, testing the looks and gestures that win over adults. They role play scenarios and prepare speeches to try on their folks later, critiquing each other as they go.


"Please Dad Please"
 So my daughter was invited out to the movies after school by her little friend, and since she knows that my first answer is always 'no,' they cooked up a plan to change my mind even before they asked. Between the two of them, they made an invitation, figuring I would respond better to some official paperwork. It was a hand-written invitation, including all of the essential information, but the kicker was the special note inside. It's shaped like a bunny's head, with her friend's phone number on one ear, and her friend's mother's number on the other. It has a desperate, but trustworthy, bunny face, begging me to let them go. The back of the bunny's head has an even more interesting appeal, which you can see below.

I didn't know she knew that song.
And the worst thing is that it worked! Against my better judgment, I let her go. Even on a school night, I let her go. Despite the fact that it caused her to miss dance class, I let her go. Once I saw the note and their two smiling, pleading faces, there wasn't even much of a decision to make, I had said 'yes' before I was even aware of it.

Now I'm worried. Where does it end? How can I resist this power in the future? I must find a way to build up resistance against this Jedi Mind Trick from the Younglings, before I'm helplessly handing over car keys or credit cards in a few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment